Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Wedding Day!


The Wedding Day!

 As I told you in my last blog the events of the day were amazingly fun-it was the perfect day! While enjoying the comfort of the beautiful suite, Lindsey was surrounded by her dearest girlfriends laughing, dancing, talking, and eating while hair was being curled and sculpted into delicate up-do's and make up was being applied to every bridesmaid. Surely it was a little like this when Esther (in the Bible) was having her beauty treatments. And certainly I can repeat her words found in Esther 4:14..."For such a time is this." There is no question this day was blessed with the presence of God.

At 5:00 sharp everyone was dressed (except for Lindsey) and ready to drive to the church. As we left the suite Madison was applying my mom’s make up, the flower girls and Jr. Bridesmaid were having their hair styled and my sweet aunts were smiling from ear to ear as they watched us scurry out the door.

On the drive over I looked at Bruce and the moment was surreal. We were on our way to OUR daughters wedding! I told him he looked so handsome in his black tux. He smiled and said, "And you Mrs. Peele, Mother of the Bride, look so beautiful in that gorgeous dress. We should do this again...say in 4 months." We laughed. Our smiles lingered as we sat silently for the short drive to the church. Then Bruce said, "This is it. Our Lindsey is getting married." We looked at each other both with tears welling up in our eyes as 26 years of memories flashed through our minds.

As we arrived to the sanctuary, Jimmy my fabulous floral designer, met me at the doors of the church. "You've got to come see this!” he announced. I followed him quickly through the sanctuary doors and he said, "Look at this! The wedding before us left these flowers here and said we are welcome to use them." Not only were they hydrangeas, they were white and matched the arrangements he had made for the front of the church! We couldn't help but laugh out loud. You see, Lindsey wanted flowers on the ends of every other pew however, because we were already over budget something had to be cut. The joke between Jimmy and I had been that she was getting everything she wanted accept for flowers down the aisle. So...the Lord blessed us and she got them after all! It was as though the Lord said, "Lindsey honey, I want you to have everything you want on your special day." No question the Lord had favor on Lindsey. What a sweet thought.

Lindsey, anxious to put on her fabulous wedding gown, was more than ready for me to join her in the Bridal Parlor. After making sure everything was going according to plan in the sanctuary, I rushed over. When I entered the room the wedding dress was free standing in the middle of the room; held up by yards of fluff, there was a perfect hole in the center. Lindsey stepped in; we pulled the dress up, zipped it and buttoned the forty buttons placed delicately down the back. BEAUTIFUL!!! The most beautiful bride I've ever seen. Of course I am The Mother of the Bride.

Jimmy presented the bouquets to every girl and then to Lindsey with a bouquet that was, as she said, more beautiful than she imagined! Then Bruce came in and saw Lindsey for the first time in her dress. That was a sweet moment. Lindsey, dad, Holly and I circled up and dad said a prayer. Funny how in all the chaos when you stop and pray there is calm, a peace and an assurance that God is with us.

Then in a flash, JP Beato, the photographer had the girls in front of the church where he took what seemed like a thousand pictures. of the bridesmaids, the groomsmen, the parents, the flower girls, and of the Bride. The sun was going down quickly so Lindsey rushed back to the Bridal Parlor while the bridesmaids took pictures with Bryan.

Lindsey's Aunt Melissa, Aunt Teresa and cousins, Cody, Cortney and Ashley lit all the candles that finished setting the stage. It was just as we had envisioned.  All the planning, all the dreaming, all the checking off that to-do-list and it was time for our guest to arrive. In the foyer the harpist played while our guest signed the book and waited to be seated. Then finally it was time to make our way to the sanctuary which had been filled with friends and family awaiting this divine moment.

The grooms parents, Nancy and Jhan Oler went down the aisle first and then Bruce and I. When we got to the last pew the four of us walked up the steep steps together and lit the appropriate unity candle. Then the four of us circled up and each said a short prayer for the Bride and Groom. It was a precious moment and we are so thankful that we all love Jesus.

At 7:30 sharp the wedding bells rang. Juli Henderson our precious friend sang The Lord's Prayer and then the bridal party entered. The organ music was very traditional. After the bridal party was in place, the music stopped and there was a tiny bell ringing. The flower girls entered the room; one ringing a silver wedding bell the other holding a sign Here Comes The Bride. Once they were in place the center doors opened, the organ began to play and as the guest stood, I couldn't help but peek into the aisle to see her. There she was (I'm wiping tears as I relive this moment), my little girl, all grown up, my Lindsey Lou, a beautiful woman who has kept herself pure, who has waited and trusted the Lord-and is in this very moment in the  midst of answered prayers. And I had a front row seat! As she walked beside me I felt the warm embrace of the Lord's presence and Lindsey was indeed the radiant bride she always hoped to be. The smile on my face was stuck and the joy in my heart was literally overflowing.

When the Pastor asked, "Who gives this bride?", Bruce, The Father of the Bride and my sweet husband of thirty years; the one who trusted us with wedding plans (and the money), the one who works so hard to provide for our family, the one who has been the godly loving father I always hoped our girls would have- said "her mother and I." In that moment, I felt so proud, so blessed, so fairy tale Happily Ever after. It was truly magical.

Bryan's Uncle Mark led the first part of the service and then John Card, Singles Pastor at Second Baptist Woodway, delivered a short message and the vows. Lindsey and Bryan kneeled for a prayer, and then moved over to the unity candles while Chris and Juli Henderson sang, "When God Made You" by Natalie Grant.

Then for the first time Mr. and Mrs. Bryan Oler were presented! The two flower girls went out first, ringing the bell and holding a sign that now said, "Just Married!" The guest applauded and the bridal party followed.

When Bruce and I walked out I couldn't help but raise my hand in thanks and praise to our Heavenly Father. It was a worshipful moment and a glorious ceremony. We are so thankful and so very happy!

The blessings that come from obedience is priceless, so worth it!

Next- the celebration!

Much Joy and Thanksgiving,
The Mother of the Bride
Chandra



No comments:

Post a Comment