Tuesday, October 11, 2011

...And Holly Too!

Remember the prayer I put in the Western Wall in the city of Jerusalem? If not...let me remind you. "Lord, bless Lindsey with a godly husband and soon! And Holly too!!" Well...this past Saturday, October the 8th, 2011, fifteen months later,  Caleb O'Flaherty ask Holly Peele to marry him. Oh my goodness! This has been so hard to keep a secret but we pulled it off. Or should I say, he pulled it off. Just like Bryan (Lindsey's groom) asked Bruce to a man to man dinner, Caleb did also. On August 20th, Bruce and Caleb had a three hour dinner to discuss his intentions, and Caleb had to answer all those questions on Daddy Bruce's list. And just like Bryan, Caleb passed the test, had a ring made and...she said yes!

I think Bruce has the hang of this thing now. Maybe he should mentor Fathers of the bride on the side. I'm so proud of Bruce, the man I married 30 years ago. I love Him so much! He's not your typical get your shot gun kind of dad. Nope. Bruce is kind, gentle and loving and wants the best for his girls whatever that may be. Like me, he has prayed for this day since before the girls were born. We have raised our daughters, taught them God's Word, loved them and guided them through life. Now God has revealed His plan to them for marriage.   I'm sure on the wedding day there will be tears, but not tears of I'm giving my daughter away. But tears of joy and praise as we celebrate their holy union, two becoming one and becoming a family of their own. And...we are gaining two sons!

The Proposal

After finding the perfect ring, Caleb hid it in his room for weeks. He waited until all the wedding showers for Lindsey and Bryan were over before he proposed to Holly. We appreciate that. The planning has been fun to watch. Our girls have been blessed with guys that want to please and surprise. After several ideas, Caleb finally came up with a plan that was big enough for his Holly.  After Holly got off work on Saturday she would have to run home and change clothes. Caleb told her they were going to Hotel ZaZa for dinner so she wanted to look nice...just in case.  Yes, a few weeks ago she said,"Mom every day I think...this could be the day." She knew he had talked to dad and they had looked at rings, but the timing of the proposal would be a surprise.

After a wonderful dinner, Caleb and Holly walked over to the fountains at Herman Park. If you live in Houston, you know the area. (side note-I actually took my Vaquera drill Team  pictures there one year.) What Holly didn't know was that Caleb had parked at the Planetarium for a very special reason. Holly loves the stars! In Houston with all the big city lights, its pretty tough to find stars so... you guessed it- Caleb rented the Planetarium! (I went there on my 5th grade field trip. Never imagined my daughter would get engaged there.)

When they were walking back to the car, Caleb said, "Man Holly. I need to go to the bathroom. Let's see if we can get in this door," as he pulled open the back door to the Planatarium.  Holly said, "Caleb they're closed!" But according to plan when Caleb opened the door a woman was there and Caleb said, "Can I please use your bathroom?" Holly was surprised when the woman said, "Sure. Its right down this hall." But she didn't think a thing about it. After Caleb came out of the men's room they were walking back down the hall and he said, "Hey, let's see whats in here." Holly said, "Calebbbb! We are going to get in trouble and my feet are killing me! Let's go!"
Caleb opens the door and walks to the center of the very dark Planetarium and with Holly close by- POOF, there they were, standing under the stars. After a speech (which I have no idea what he said, she won't tell me...yet. lol) he got down on one knee, took the ring out of his pocket and asked Holly to marry him. I know! I know!!! Isn't it so sweet and ROMANTIC! After she said, "yes!", right on cue, Garth Brooks song "To Make You Feel My Love" came on and they danced under those beautiful stars!!

When they left the building, there was a limo waiting for them. Well, it was supposed to be right out the door but they had to walk around until they found it. (Oh well, one little glitch is okay!) Once they got into the limo they drove to our house where ONE MORE SURPRISE- 20 friends from church and all of Calebs family (who drove in from the Dallas area) were ready to celebrate with the happy couple!

More to come!

One Happy Mother of the Bride(s)

1 comment:

  1. Oh My gosh!!! When it rains, it pours. How special to have sisters going thorugh similar experiences at the same time. so excited for you !!!

    ReplyDelete