Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Things We Do For Love

Okay. So I've pretty much left you feeling like we have had a blissfully happy planning experience. And for the most part -this is true. Lindsey and I have gotten along beautifully. For a 25 year old daughter and her mother to get along  85% of the time while planning a wedding in 6 months....it's worthy of a hallelujah shout!  However, yesterday I had a MOB (Mother of the Bride) ask me if Lindsey and I ever have disagreements, (hurtful words and hurt feelings), so I thought I should tell you - of course we do! But any smart mom understands that sharing about our spats on a BLOG for  the world to see probably isn't such a smart thing to do. Believe me, while planning a wedding the last thing the mother-of-the-bride wants to do is heap coals on a hot spot. 

With that said, Lindsey gave me permission to share about one of those heated moments. But for the life of me as I sit here this morning, I can't think of one in particular. What I can tell you is that there have been numerous times when my sweet little bride-to-be was a perfect picture of Bridezilla!Oh...just thought of one. It was while we were at an appointment with Heidi, our wedding coordinator. I had done the leg work, made the phone calls, written the checks and quite honestly was the one who orchestrated this particular meeting so, Heidi directed her question to me.  While answering, Lindsey abruptly held out her hand in my direction to shush me,  and rudely said, "Mom! I've got this!"with a mean look on her face. Embarrassed I sat back and shut my mouth. I smiled and hoped the tears in my eyes would not roll down my cheeks in front of this sweet innocent wedding planner seated across from me. How embarrassing! Another time...oh shoot. She told me I could only share one. Ha! 

All I can say is...the things we do for love. Bruce and I want the very best wedding for Lindsey and Bryan that we can make happen within our budget. And we've put together a pretty sweet event! I know that tensions are high and those glaring looks may only get worse during these last 15 days. And in all fairness, I've had a few mom-Zilla moments of my own! Boy, Satan would really love to destroy this joyous occasion if he could, wouldn't he? But nope- not happening here. Instead- I'm praying that through the tedious last minute details, when the bride-to-be has a moment, I will be ever so calm, cool and collected. Prayerfully I will be the godly mother I've always hoped to be. I love Lindsey Nicole Peele, she's my daughter, my friend and I'll put up with a few spats here and there because I know she loves me as much as I love her. The sweet moments we've shared far out shine the others and I'll cherish each one. To think in just a few days, she'll be Mrs. Bryan Oler. She won't come home to her room. She won't be calling to say, "Mom, I'm on my way home", or "What's for dinner". Instead she'll be starting a new life with Bryan. It's a bitter-sweet season. I'm so proud of her and can see God's plan unfolding in her life.  It's true, the mother daughter relationship can be difficult at times, but it is also one of the greatest blessings of my life. Okay, now...the tears are rolling down my cheeks.

Lord Jesus, thank You for Your great love. Thank You for Your grace and unconditional love. Thank You that your love is deep, long and wide and nothing we can do will ever separate us from Your love. May Your love be what shines brightest through me during the next two weeks. When tensions and stresses get high, (and they will), and everyone in my family, (especially Lindsey) looks to me to make it happen, help me be the one who calms and brings peace.  Lord- You love, You give, You forgive. Surely I can put up with a few harsh words, ugly looks and embarrassing moments from those I love. And when Lindsey walks down the aisle to meet her groom....it will all be worth it! We pray that the ceremony, the vows and the celebration will all bring honor to You.  I love you Jesus- Amen

The Thing Jesus Christ did for love- He gave His life.
The Things we do for love- serve others. give, give and give some more.

Much Joy!
The Mother of the Bride(s)

No comments:

Post a Comment