Monday, September 26, 2011

The Engagement Dinner Celebration

The night of the proposal Bruce and I, Jhan and Nancy (Bryan's parents who drove in from Corpus), Blake and Chelsea (the newlyweds), Holly-(sister of the Bride to be and her boyfriend) Caleb, met the newly engaged couple at Lupe Tortilla for a fun casual evening of celebration! Nothing fancy; just a celebration with the couples favorite people and favorite food- Mexican food! When we arrived there they stood with a smile as big as Texas and a glow all around them. It was precious!
(I'll post a picture as soon as I figure out how to.)  

Lindsey was dying to share all the details and we were dying to hear! You see, Bryan thought it would be funny to propose at school, in the middle of the day so Lindsey would have to wait four hours before she could broadcast the news to the WORLD.  So finally...Lindsey got to tell us.  Afterwards, the dad's made a toast. Jhan (Bryan's dad) went first and then Bruce. The place was so loud that Bruce, who sat at one end of the table, couldn't hear what Jhan, who sat at the other end of the table said and they both gave the exact same toast. "First we give thanks to God for answered prayer. Here's to a long happy and healthy life together. To Lindsey and Bryan."

So sweet! I have to admit the tears of joy rolling down my face were also tears of repentance. Strange, I know, but if you remember I tried to control the situation. Only months earlier I had even asked God-  what He was doing? Now, seeing Lindsey's face right next to Bryan's, I'm so glad His plan was revealed in His perfect timing. So as I raised my glass, I wiped a tear, and could just imagine my Heavenly Father saying, it's okay...bask in my favor and extravagant love.

The parent's of the groom are so sweet! We had met them a couple of times before. In fact the first time I taught in Grey Street (the singles Sunday Bible study class) The Oler's came because Bryan was sharing his testimony that same morning. Another time they were actually in our home when Bruce and I hosted Blake and Chelsea's Couples Shower. Now here we sit a few months later with our kids engaged! Boy- when God sets things in motion change can come quick!

You know...we moms don't get to say I told you so as often as we would like to, so I'll take this opportunity. I had told Lindsey and Holly (months earlier) that if they would get involved in a group of friends from church that their new friends would introduce them to other friends and it wouldn't be long until they had a lot of friends and that's exactly what happened. Chelsea, one of those new friends became one of Lindsey good friends and was dating Blake (Bryan's brother). They were in small group Bible study together, played co-ed softball and were always doing something with the class.

 One day Chelsea asked Lindsey what she thought of Bryan, Blake's brother. Lindsey didn't have much to say because although she and Bryan had been at some of the same church events, she didn't have any thoughts, one way or another. Well...Chelsea began to match-make; to drop comments to Bryan and then to Lindsey so next thing we knew, they were talking a little more, then the talking became flirtatious which developed into that first date.

What a blessing that Chelsea and Lindsey will soon be Sister-in-laws.

Now flash forward to September 24th and we, Bruce and I, Lindsey and Bryan are in the car driving to Corpus where the Oler's friends will shower the happy couple with gifts.

More to come-

If you are lonely, need friends or want to serve others...get involved!

The Mother of the Bride
Chandra

1 comment:

  1. love it! Glad you are sharing as "mother of the bride" and so happy you told them to get involved..been telling Dustin the same thing..just maybe its working.. he's starting to meet people!
    Love you guys! can't wait to see pictures!
    Bobbye

    ReplyDelete